The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board not being included

Jamies

Here is the scenario: President of the Board acted as a chairperson for an annual event. There was also a co-chair of the event. There was an issue with a vendor contract (vendor also happens to be a member of the club) which was signed by the co-chair. The contract was only signed by the co-chair. The contract was not forwarded to the Board for review prior to signing. There was an issue at the event and the vendor expressed their displeasure and noted that it was a breach of contract. The chair (board President) engaged in conversations with the vendor via email regarding this matter. The chair (president) also communicated with the governing body of the organization. All without communicating this to the entire Board. During all of the back and forth communication, reference to legal action was made, again all without the Board being informed.

The Board was eventually notified at their monthly meeting, following all of the communication. The Board was led to believe that this vendor refused to honor their obligation. A discussion took place and prior to the next board meeting the vendor provided full documentation of what transpired. This will be addressed at the Board's upcoming meeting.

My question is that I personally feel the Board was not provided with an accurate accounting of the issue. Should the president be included in these discussions or should they recuse themselves? What is the parliamentary procedure for this type of scenario?

Thank you, 

On 12/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, Jamies said:

My question is that I personally feel the Board was not provided with an accurate accounting of the issue. Should the president be included in these discussions or should they recuse themselves?

The President, if a board member, has a right to be present at meetings of the board.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, Jamies said:

What is the parliamentary procedure for this type of scenario?

If you intend to remove the President from office, see FAQ #20. Pretty much anything else would be handled as an ordinary main motion.

It may be advisable to meet in executive session when discussing these issues.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.