The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting cancellations

Guest Dave

RONR does not give anyone the authority to cancel a properly scheduled meeting. Such authority would have to be in the organization's governing documents or controlling law. 

However, as a practical matter, if the chairman announces that a meeting has been canceled and everyone takes him at his word and nobody (or less than a quorum) shows up, the meeting has pretty effectively been canceled.

Now, if a quorum shows up anyway, those present can have the meeting regardless of the "cancelation notice" and regardless of whether the chairman is there. That is the risk of trying to cancel a properly scheduled meeting.

Would it make sense to add a propose bylaw that requires 75% (debatable) of the original members to cancel the meeting? As long as the meeting met all other requirements for calling it in the first place it should be protected from a cancelation. I think this protects the minority that called the meeting in the first place. Any suggestions?

12 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

RONR does not give anyone the authority to cancel a properly scheduled meeting. Such authority would have to be in the organization's governing documents or controlling law. 

Not any one, but certainly if the meeting was scheduled by an assembly, that body could reschedule or un-schedule its meetings via the motion to Rescind / Amend Something Previously Adopted.

The problem of course is that this would have to be done at a valid meeting, which makes last-minute cancellations problematic.

23 minutes ago, Guest Delegate guy said:

Would it make sense to add a propose bylaw that requires 75% (debatable) of the original members to cancel the meeting? As long as the meeting met all other requirements for calling it in the first place it should be protected from a cancelation. I think this protects the minority that called the meeting in the first place. Any suggestions?

Well, it's very well protected from cancellation right now. And as I noted above, any voting would have to be done in a meeting, so it would not be of much use if there is no intervening meeting between "now" and the meeting you're trying  to cancel (or keep from canceling).

Also what do you mean by "original members"?  The right to vote applies to all members.

11 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

. . . . Special meetings cannot be canceled except (perhaps) by the calling authority.

I don't think the "calling authority " can cancel one either unless authorized by an appropriate rule. 

This has been the subject of much discussion in this forum, but I think the response by Shmuel Gerber in what I believe post # 5 in this thread (please give us back post numbers!) provides the correct answer: 

39 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I don't think the "calling authority " can cancel one either unless authorized by an appropriate rule. 

I agree.  I also question how they could in practice.  What if the "calling authority" is the board - how will it act without a meeting (unless there are special provisions laid out)?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.