The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Post election special meeting

Guest Louis

I sit on a small non-profit organization's board. Recently we elected new board members and two new officers of the board who take office January 1.  Two days after the meeting the elect new people, the current chair called for a special meeting to re-visit the elections.  I cannot find anything in Robert's Rules that speaks to this.  Can votes be overturned after the fact?

Generally, no.  There are a few exceptions, such as non-members being allowed to vote (where the number of invalid votes could have affected the outcome), or the lack of a quorum at the election meeting, or people being elected who did not meet the eligibility requirements.

But these are very specific and require proof.  In general, once the election is complete, it cannot be revisited.

What reason did the chair give that would allegedly require this special meeting?

Edited by Gary Novosielski
punctuation

Guest Louis, just out of curiosity, what edition or version of Robert's Rules are you using? For an issue like this, if you don't already have it, recommend you get a copy of "The Right Book"... the 11th edition of RONR. It retails for about $18, but is available from Amazon for about $13 last time I checked. Do not accept a substitute. Here is a description: http://robertsrules.com/book.html

Edited to add: it's down to $11.94 on Amazon today. A bargain!! Get one for your chairman, too! :)

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.