The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of and voting in new President.

Guest CDsp

According to the by-laws if a President has to step down for any reason, he will appoint an acting P in his place until the set elections. In this case, a particular person will ask the P to step down, back story unnecessary. If the P removes himself, is he entitled to appoint someone still and whether or not someone is appointed, can the membership call an emergency vote to fill the new position before the set elections? 

1 hour ago, Guest CDsp said:

According to the by-laws if a President has to step down for any reason, he will appoint an acting P in his place until the set elections. In this case, a particular person will ask the P to step down, back story unnecessary. If the P removes himself, is he entitled to appoint someone still and whether or not someone is appointed, can the membership call an emergency vote to fill the new position before the set elections? 

1 hour ago, Guest CDsp said:

If for any reason the President needs to step down, he will appoint an acting president to serve the chapter until the next scheduled election.

That part seems pretty clear to me, i think. I'm more concerned with wondering if the emergency vote is acceptable 

Do your bylaws say anything else at all regarding vacancies in the office of President and/or procedures to remove an officer from office? If they do not, how is the term of office for the President defined?

I think it is quite clear that the President is entitled to appoint an Acting President in these circumstances (the bylaws do say “for any reason”), and it is also quite clear that if this is the method of appointment the bylaws provide, the membership cannot simply elect someone else instead, unless of course the bylaws provide for that option.

It may be possible for the membership to remove the Acting President from office, although it is not entirely clear what would happen next. It is also unclear what would happen in the event that the President refused to appoint a successor or was unable to do so. I think that those will be questions of bylaws interpretation. The procedures for removal will depend on the answers to my questions.

Finally, I would advise amending the bylaws to provide for a different procedure for filling a vacancy in the office of President.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.