The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration of

Guest Mama Stencil

Our city Council voted on a rezone from R-1 to R-2 last November.  Parcel was voted to remain R-1.  At this month's meeting, a new parcel map including the original parcel is being considered for R-1to R-2.  Is a motion to reconsider required before the main motion is taken up for action?

10 minutes ago, Guest Mama Stencil said:

Our city Council voted on a rezone from R-1 to R-2 last November.  Parcel was voted to remain R-1.  At this month's meeting, a new parcel map including the original parcel is being considered for R-1to R-2.  Is a motion to reconsider required before the main motion is taken up for action?

No.  Regardless of whether or not each meeting is a new session of council, if you've had any meetings since November the time has passed for the need to use a motion to reconsider the vote.  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 316  b )

Edited by George Mervosh

1 hour ago, George Mervosh said:

No.  Regardless of whether or not each meeting is a new session of council, if you've had any meetings since November the time has passed for the need to use a motion to reconsider the vote.  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 316  b )

But I think the original poster is asking whether the decision on the original rezoning proposal interferes with the question of the new rezoning proposal, or at least changes the procedure that would be used for considering it.

We'd need a lot more information to properly answer that question, but my guess is that the rezoning of a larger area represents a substantially different and new question than rezoning just the original parcel, and therefore it could be adopted even at the same session by a regular majority vote (if the rules in RONR apply).

28 minutes ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

But I think the original poster is asking whether the decision on the original rezoning proposal interferes with the question of the new rezoning proposal, or at least changes the procedure that would be used for considering it.

We'd need a lot more information to properly answer that question, but my guess is that the rezoning of a larger area represents a substantially different and new question than rezoning just the original parcel, and therefore it could be adopted even at the same session by a regular majority vote (if the rules in RONR apply).

Thanks for this followup.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.