The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to accept Legislation still in discussion

Concerned Citized

I was at our City Council meeting in Ohio.  Council has been discussing new legislation that will hopefully become an Ordinance to vote on soon.  A member of the City Council made a motion, under new business, (which it is not), to accept the Ordinance "as is" with no further discussion.  There is not an Official ordinance, with a number, to vote on yet.  The President of Council called a vote and Council voted yes.  This is the type of legislation that you would look really bad voting no- on.  The other Members of Council are afraid of this guy and were not sure what to do.  They all (except the guy who made the weird motion) agree that it needs to be discussed more to work out some kinks.  My question is, does the motion to accept the information they had "as is" stand?  Is there anything they can do so they can continue to debate and work out the legislation?

1 minute ago, Concerned Citized said:

I was at our City Council meeting in Ohio.  Council has been discussing new legislation that will hopefully become an Ordinance to vote on soon.  A member of the City Council made a motion, under new business, (which it is not), to accept the Ordinance "as is" with no further discussion.  There is not an Official ordinance, with a number, to vote on yet.  The President of Council called a vote and Council voted yes.  This is the type of legislation that you would look really bad voting no- on.  The other Members of Council are afraid of this guy and were not sure what to do.  They all (except the guy who made the weird motion) agree that it needs to be discussed more to work out some kinks.  My question is, does the motion to accept the information they had "as is" stand?  Is there anything they can do so they can continue to debate and work out the legislation?

If the rules in RONR apply, an applicable adopted main motion may be amended after it was adopted.  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 305ff   

9 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

If the rules in RONR apply, an applicable adopted main motion may be amended after it was adopted.  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 305ff   

Not disagreeing, but that motion would be treated as any motion to adopt an ordinance would be.  I suspect that there are public notice requirements. 

Edited by J. J.

1 hour ago, Concerned Citized said:

My question is, does the motion to accept the information they had "as is" stand?  Is there anything they can do so they can continue to debate and work out the legislation?

I concur with my colleagues that there are almost certainly rules in the council’s rules and applicable law which are pertinent here, and those rules should be consulted.

So far as RONR is concerned, however, I would interpret the member’s motion to adopt the motion “as-is” as a motion to Suspend the Rules and adopt the main motion without debate or amendment. Such a motion is in order, but requires a 2/3 vote for adoption.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.