The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes Approval at Special Meeting

pwilson

“A special meeting does not approve minutes” (RONR [11th ed.], p. 473, l. 35).

Shall I interpret this statement as a blanket prohibition, or instead assume that something like the following is implied: “unless approval of minutes is among the particular matters to which the special meeting is dedicated”?

I note that an executive session can be held solely for the purpose of approving the minutes of a previous executive session (p. 96, ll.14-16).

14 minutes ago, pwilson said:

Shall I interpret this statement as a blanket prohibition, or instead assume that something like the following is implied: “unless approval of minutes is among the particular matters to which the special meeting is dedicated”?

I note that an executive session can be held solely for the purpose of approving the minutes of a previous executive session (p. 96, ll.14-16).

The entire sentence reads:  " A special meeting does not approve minutes;  its minutes should be approved at the next regular meeting."  RONR (11th ed.), pp. 473-74.

If the group doesn't want to wait until the next regular meeting, it could call a separate special meeting the approve those minutes, but that could fall outside of the general reasoning for calling special meetings - "The reason for special meetings is to deal with matters that may arise between regular meetings and that require action by the society before the next regular meeting, or to dedicate an entire session to one or more particular matters."  RONR (11th ed), pp. 92-93

I should probably start a new thread, but since this is closely related I'll ask this question - If the next regular meeting won't be held within a quarterly time interval, could the members gathered at a special meeting authorize the board to approve the minutes, or form a committee to approve the minutes of said special meeting?

51 minutes ago, pwilson said:

See this Official Interpretation.

21 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

I should probably start a new thread, but since this is closely related I'll ask this question - If the next regular meeting won't be held within a quarterly time interval, could the members gathered at a special meeting authorize the board to approve the minutes, or form a committee to approve the minutes of said special meeting?

I think so.

We are told, on page 93, that the rule that the only business that can be transacted at a special meeting is that which has been specified in the call of the meeting "does not preclude the consideration of privileged motions, or of any subsidiary, incidental, or other motions that may arise in connection with the transaction of such business or the conduct of the meeting." A motion relating to approval of the minutes of a special meeting would seem to me to be a motion arising in connection with the business being transacted at that meeting.

9 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think so.

We are told, on page 93, that the rule that the only business that can be transacted at a special meeting is that which has been specified in the call of the meeting "does not preclude the consideration of privileged motions, or of any subsidiary, incidental, or other motions that may arise in connection with the transaction of such business or the conduct of the meeting." A motion relating to approval of the minutes of a special meeting would seem to me to be a motion arising in connection with the business being transacted at that meeting.

Thank you, and thanks for the OI link that I totally forgot about.  :)

Edited by George Mervosh

I'm interested in knowing whether a special meeting can approve the minutes of an earlier meeting. (I'm not asking about the approval of the minutes of the special meeting itself.)

Is it permissible to include, e.g., "approval of the minutes of the regular March meeting" among the matters for which a special meeting is called?

• 5 years later...
On 10/16/2023 at 2:31 PM, Guest aonegemini said:

Do you have to take minutes at a special meeting?

Yes.

On 10/16/2023 at 2:31 PM, Guest aonegemini said:

Do you have to call a special meeting to order, or can you open the meeting without the formality of a call to order?

The call to order is the manner in which a meeting is properly opened, whether it is a regular meeting or special meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.