Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
pwilson

Minutes Approval at Special Meeting

Recommended Posts

“A special meeting does not approve minutes” (RONR [11th ed.], p. 473, l. 35).

Shall I interpret this statement as a blanket prohibition, or instead assume that something like the following is implied: “unless approval of minutes is among the particular matters to which the special meeting is dedicated”?

I note that an executive session can be held solely for the purpose of approving the minutes of a previous executive session (p. 96, ll.14-16).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pwilson said:

“A special meeting does not approve minutes” (RONR [11th ed.], p. 473, l. 35).

Shall I interpret this statement as a blanket prohibition, or instead assume that something like the following is implied: “unless approval of minutes is among the particular matters to which the special meeting is dedicated”?

I note that an executive session can be held solely for the purpose of approving the minutes of a previous executive session (p. 96, ll.14-16).

The entire sentence reads:  " A special meeting does not approve minutes;  its minutes should be approved at the next regular meeting."  RONR (11th ed.), pp. 473-74.

If the group doesn't want to wait until the next regular meeting, it could call a separate special meeting the approve those minutes, but that could fall outside of the general reasoning for calling special meetings - "The reason for special meetings is to deal with matters that may arise between regular meetings and that require action by the society before the next regular meeting, or to dedicate an entire session to one or more particular matters."  RONR (11th ed), pp. 92-93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should probably start a new thread, but since this is closely related I'll ask this question - If the next regular meeting won't be held within a quarterly time interval, could the members gathered at a special meeting authorize the board to approve the minutes, or form a committee to approve the minutes of said special meeting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, pwilson said:

“A special meeting does not approve minutes” (RONR [11th ed.], p. 473, l. 35).

Shall I interpret this statement as a blanket prohibition, or instead assume that something like the following is implied: “unless approval of minutes is among the particular matters to which the special meeting is dedicated”?

I note that an executive session can be held solely for the purpose of approving the minutes of a previous executive session (p. 96, ll.14-16).

See this Official Interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

I should probably start a new thread, but since this is closely related I'll ask this question - If the next regular meeting won't be held within a quarterly time interval, could the members gathered at a special meeting authorize the board to approve the minutes, or form a committee to approve the minutes of said special meeting?

I think so.

We are told, on page 93, that the rule that the only business that can be transacted at a special meeting is that which has been specified in the call of the meeting "does not preclude the consideration of privileged motions, or of any subsidiary, incidental, or other motions that may arise in connection with the transaction of such business or the conduct of the meeting." A motion relating to approval of the minutes of a special meeting would seem to me to be a motion arising in connection with the business being transacted at that meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think so.

We are told, on page 93, that the rule that the only business that can be transacted at a special meeting is that which has been specified in the call of the meeting "does not preclude the consideration of privileged motions, or of any subsidiary, incidental, or other motions that may arise in connection with the transaction of such business or the conduct of the meeting." A motion relating to approval of the minutes of a special meeting would seem to me to be a motion arising in connection with the business being transacted at that meeting.

Thank you, and thanks for the OI link that I totally forgot about.  :)

Edited by George Mervosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in knowing whether a special meeting can approve the minutes of an earlier meeting. (I'm not asking about the approval of the minutes of the special meeting itself.)

Is it permissible to include, e.g., "approval of the minutes of the regular March meeting" among the matters for which a special meeting is called?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×