The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes: Motions Made and ruled out of order

smb

A question of semantics....Under RONR 11, a motion is before the assembly only after it has been moved, seconded, and stated by the chair.   The minutes should include all main motions "made or taken up" and not withdrawn. X rises,  makes a motion, and the chair immediately rules the motion out of order.  There is no second; there is no appeal of the ruling.  Should the motion go into the minutes?  I.e., Does the phrase "motions made" refer solely to the first step of someone "making" the motion or has a motion been "made" only after it has been seconded and stated by the chair.  Since "make" and "made" are tenses of the same verb, it would seem that a motion immediately ruled out of order should still be included in the minutes.  However, by that logic, motions made but not seconded should also be included in the minutes and, as a simple matter of practice, I know of no one who does that.  Comments?

42 minutes ago, smb said:

A question of semantics....Under RONR 11, a motion is before the assembly only after it has been moved, seconded, and stated by the chair.   The minutes should include all main motions "made or taken up" and not withdrawn. X rises,  makes a motion, and the chair immediately rules the motion out of order.  There is no second; there is no appeal of the ruling.  Should the motion go into the minutes?  I.e., Does the phrase "motions made" refer solely to the first step of someone "making" the motion or has a motion been "made" only after it has been seconded and stated by the chair.  Since "make" and "made" are tenses of the same verb, it would seem that a motion immediately ruled out of order should still be included in the minutes.  However, by that logic, motions made but not seconded should also be included in the minutes and, as a simple matter of practice, I know of no one who does that.  Comments?

Yes, the motion should be included in the minutes. The chair’s ruling and his reasoning should also be included.

Motions which die for lack of a second are also supposed to be included in the minutes. See Official Interpretation 2006-7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.