The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mistake in our rulebook

Guest Greg

There was a rule that was amended at a full membership meeting, but the change was overlooked when editing the Rulebook. Seems like I’ve read in RONR that the change is still in effect, even though the Rulebook is incorrect. But now I can’t find it in RONR. Can anyone point me to the right place in the book?

6 minutes ago, Guest Greg said:

There was a rule that was amended at a full membership meeting, but the change was overlooked when editing the Rulebook. Seems like I’ve read in RONR that the change is still in effect, even though the Rulebook is incorrect. But now I can’t find it in RONR. Can anyone point me to the right place in the book?

"**Unless an adopted main motion specifies a time for the termination of its effect, it continues in force until it is rescinded."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 111 footnote.

So the amended rule is in effect.  The minutes should also have documented its adoption.  

2 hours ago, Guest Greg said:

Thank you for that! But isn’t there also something that specifically references mistakes / oversights in the rules? 

No, why would it?  Just update the rule book to reflect what was properly adopted or send out some sort of addendum to it to reflect what was properly adopted.

51 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

No, why would it?  Just update the rule book to reflect what was properly adopted or send out some sort of addendum to it to reflect what was properly adopted.

But that's not always so easy. Check this out:

Errors in the Constitution—Typographical and Congressional

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.