The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing committee obligations to individual assembly members

Setemu

A standing committee may make a recommendation to the assembly of its own initiative (p. 514).

Situation: standing committee (A) is charged with making policy recommendations to the assembly regarding subject X. There are no assembly rules regarding automatic referral on any subject. An assembly member, who is not a member of committee (A), contacts the chair (or any) member of this committee with a suggestion for a policy amendment on subject x, in the hopes the committee will recommend the amendment to the assembly. The chair of the committee (or other committee member) brings the item before the committee on behalf of the assembly member. The amendment is adopted for the committee report and a motion to amend is recommended in the report to the assembly.

Questions:

1) Is committee (A) obligated to consider the issue brought by the assembly member, given the issue is in the purview of the committee's charges? (my guess: no)

2) May committee (A) consider an issue brought to the attention of one it's members it by an individual assembly member, if one or more committee members wishes to do so?  (my guess: yes). On the one hand this seems to circumvent the majority requirement to commit an item to committee, but on the other hand this is a standing committee charged with considering issues on the subject.

3) If committee (A) member hears a comment during Good of the Order regarding a concern with policy in question--a policy under the purview of committee (A)--is it allowable for that committee (A) member to then bring up the issue for consideration and possibly recommendation in committee (A)'s  next meeting without any discussion with the member who brought up the concern during Good of the Order? (my guess: yes)

4) Do any of these answers change if the committee is given standing powers to act on behalf of the assembly on matters pertaining to the policy in question? 

Edited by Setemu
grammatical error

1 hour ago, Setemu said:

1) Is committee (A) obligated to consider the issue brought by the assembly member, given the issue is in the purview of the committee's charges? (my guess: no)

No.

1 hour ago, Setemu said:

2) May committee (A) consider an issue brought to the attention of one it's members it by an individual assembly member, if one or more committee members wishes to do so?  (my guess: yes). On the one hand this seems to circumvent the majority requirement to commit an item to committee, but on the other hand this is a standing committee charged with considering issues on the subject.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Setemu said:

3) If committee (A) member hears a comment during Good of the Order regarding a concern with policy in question--a policy under the purview of committee (A)--is it allowable for that committee (A) member to then bring up the issue for consideration and possibly recommendation in committee (A)'s  next meeting without any discussion with the member who brought up the concern during Good of the Order? (my guess: yes)

Yes.

1 hour ago, Setemu said:

4) Do any of these answers change if the committee is given standing powers to act on behalf of the assembly on matters pertaining to the policy in question? 

No.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.