The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-Profit board

Guest Jane Powell

We have a non-profit museum consisting of a 5 member board where the Director is 1 of the members. Today we had a meeting and needed to decide on a raise for the Director. She presided over the meeting and presented her case for a raise and then left so we could discuss it. 2 were in favor of the raise and 2 were not. How is this decided? Can the Director vote for herself as a board member or not? Thanks!

While a member should not vote when she has a financial interest not in common with the other members she can't be compelled to abstain (RONR p. 407 ll. 21-31).  However, if she was going to vote she needed to do it the same time as the others.  Unless your rules say otherwise a 2-2 vote means a majority was not in favor of the motion thus the motion was defeated (no raise for her).

Edited by Chris Harrison

Ok, I read in ROR that "The general principle in parliamentary law is that when a member has a conflict of interest, he or she does not enter into the discussion or vote on the matter." So, I guess if it's 2 votes yes and 2 votes no then the required two thirds votes did not happen because she could not vote for herself?

1 hour ago, Guest Jane Powell said:

So, I guess if it's 2 votes yes and 2 votes no then the required two thirds votes did not happen because she could not vote for herself?

Effectively, yes. (But if a 2/3 vote is required---a requirement not present in RONR---then it wouldn't have passed even if she had voted for herself, since 3/5 is less than 2/3.)

To be precise, though, she "could not vote for herself" because she wasn't present for the vote. If she had stayed, she would have been able to vote for herself. RONR states that a member should not vote when they have a conflict of interest, but nothing says they can not vote in that case.

2 hours ago, Guest Jane Powell said:

Ok, I read in ROR that "The general principle in parliamentary law is that when a member has a conflict of interest, he or she does not enter into the discussion or vote on the matter.”

Well, that’s interesting, because that’s not actually what RONR says. :)

What it actually says on the subject is “No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization. For example, if a motion proposes that the organization enter into a contract with a commercial firm of which a member of the organization is an officer and from which contract he would derive personal pecuniary profit, the member should abstain from voting on the motion. However, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting in such circumstances.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 407)

RONR uses the term “direct personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members,” not “conflict of interest.” It states that a member with such an interest should not vote, but notes that the member ultimately retains the right to vote. It doesn’t say anything about entering into the discussion.

What is the exact title of the book you are reading? I suspect it is not The Right Book.

Edited by Josh Martin

1 hour ago, Guest Jane Powell said:

Thanks so much for your responses! I think I was reading from Robert's Rules For Dummies. I appreciate you spelling it out.

I wonder if you are reading an outdated edition of that text. The current edition of Robert’s Rules for Dummies (the 3rd edition) is consistent with RONR on this subject.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.