The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of an Executive Board Member

Ajp

The youth league that I am involved in has two separate executive boards.  One executive board oversees football operations while the other oversees the cheerleading operations.  I am currently in the role of Secretary for the football side of things.  We are currently experiencing some issues with the president of the cheerleading side.  I will spare you the long and drawn out circumstances that have led me to join this forum.  I have looked over our bylaws many times and they contain nothing pertaining to the discipline or removal of an executive board member.  All it states is that the Robert’s Rule of Order shall govern the proceedings at all meetings.  Does this mean that we as a league can simply refer to the official Robert’s Rule of Order to discipline and or remove an executive board member?  I honestly believe that we can work through our differences.  However, in the event that we cannot I would just like to know what our options are.  I figured I would start here before seeking legal advice for interpretation.

27 minutes ago, Ajp said:

The youth league that I am involved in has two separate executive boards.  One executive board oversees football operations while the other oversees the cheerleading operations.  I am currently in the role of Secretary for the football side of things.  We are currently experiencing some issues with the president of the cheerleading side.  I will spare you the long and drawn out circumstances that have led me to join this forum.  I have looked over our bylaws many times and they contain nothing pertaining to the discipline or removal of an executive board member.  All it states is that the Robert’s Rule of Order shall govern the proceedings at all meetings.  Does this mean that we as a league can simply refer to the official Robert’s Rule of Order to discipline and or remove an executive board member?  I honestly believe that we can work through our differences.  However, in the event that we cannot I would just like to know what our options are.  I figured I would start here before seeking legal advice for interpretation.

What is the exact wording your bylaws use to define the term of office for board members?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

The short of it is that if your bylaws say the President holds office "for X time or until a successor is elected," then the President may be removed by a two-thirds vote, a majority vote with previous notice, or a vote of the majority of the entire membership. All of these votes are among the group which elected the President in the first place.

Otherwise, you must follow the disciplinary process detailed in the dreaded Chapter XX, which involves an investigative committee, formal charges, and a trial.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.