The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definition of Executive Board vs Board of Directors

Guest Rob

Does RRO make a distinction between Executive Board and Board of Directors.  The manual I have (9th edition) uses the phrases "Executive Board," "Executive Committee," "Board of Directors."  I found definitions for the first two, but not "Board of Directors."  My best reading (looking at the Bylaws section of RRO) is that the term "Executive Board" and "Board of Directors" are two names for the same entity.  All references that apply to one term apply to the other.  Just want to confirm.  

3 minutes ago, Guest Rob said:

Does RRO make a distinction between Executive Board and Board of Directors.  The manual I have (9th edition) uses the phrases "Executive Board," "Executive Committee," "Board of Directors."  I found definitions for the first two, but not "Board of Directors."  My best reading (looking at the Bylaws section of RRO) is that the term "Executive Board" and "Board of Directors" are two names for the same entity.  All references that apply to one term apply to the other.  Just want to confirm.  

"Except in the simplest and smallest local societies, or those holding very frequent regular meetings, it is generally found advisable to provide in the bylaws for a board to be empowered to act for the society when necessary between its regular meetings, and in some cases to have complete control over certain phases of the society's business. Such a board is usually known as the executive board, or—in organizations where there is an executive committee within and subordinate to the board as described below—the board of directors, board of managers, or board of trustees. Any such body is referred to in this book as an executive board, however—regardless of whether there is an executive committee—in cases where the distinction is immaterial. "  RONR (11th ed.),  pp. 481-82

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.