The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws revision and election question

Chip

My organization's convention is coming up. We have a proposed bylaws revision on the agenda, and it takes place after elections are held. For most elections this won't matter, but the new bylaws replace one position on the Executive Committee with a different position (replaces a specific role with an "at-large" position).

Is my understanding correct that it would be appropriate to "postpone to a certain time" this specific election (until after the bylaws revision is complete), and that would be a general order that would require a majority vote? Or is there a better way to do this?

Postponing the specific election for the one changing position until after the bylaws were amended was my first thought too.  Make the motion when the chair announces that the assembly will now proceed to the election of all the officers. Seems OK to me.  Majority vote will do it.  You could also postpone the entire election if you want to, provided, perhaps, that that didn't mess up some other scheduled activities.

If you are sure (mostly) that the revision will be adopted, be sure to ask the Nominating Committee to produce a candidate for the at-large position and, just in case, for the "old" position as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.