The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cam a suspension be rescinded by membership?

hattiesims

A suspended club member challenges a 6 month suspension.   In our BY Laws under Election of directors  "The Executive Board shall have authority to manage the business matters of the club.   The Club shall retain the right to rescind by a majority vote any decision made be the Executive Board."   By Laws also state under disciplinary actions that the board may by a majority vote suspend member from all privileges of the club for not more than 6 months from the day of the hearing."    Expulsion which board did not ask for, requires a membership vote.   Can the membership rescind a DISCIPLINARY action?   

MKC_ByLaws_and_StandingRules030118.docx

13 minutes ago, hattiesims said:

A suspended club member challenges a 6 month suspension.   In our BY Laws under Election of directors  "The Executive Board shall have authority to manage the business matters of the club.   The Club shall retain the right to rescind by a majority vote any decision made be the Executive Board."   By Laws also state under disciplinary actions that the board may by a majority vote suspend member from all privileges of the club for not more than 6 months from the day of the hearing."    Expulsion which board did not ask for, requires a membership vote.   Can the membership rescind a DISCIPLINARY action?   

MKC_ByLaws_and_StandingRules030118.docx

It would seem to me that your bylaws explicitly answer this question. “The Club shall retain the right to rescind by a majority vote any decision made be [I assume this is meant to say “by”] the Executive Board.” (emphasis added)

So unless there is something else in your bylaws which suggests that there is an exception in this particular case, I think the answer is clearly “Yes.”

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.