The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing the rules during an incomplete election

SaintCad

A large organization I belong to had a tie in the election for a position.  This scenario was never addressed in the standing rules and re-balloting under Robert's Rules while not impossible would be difficult to do.  IF the election rules on incomplete elections were to be changed before the re-balloting would that affect the way the incomplete election is conducted?

It seems to me that if a new rule is adopted and then re-balloting takes place that the answer would necessarily be "yes," after all the new rule did not exist before. However, I hesitate to agree that a standing rule is the appropriate place for this kind of thing, my preference would be in the bylaws. Nevertheless, our cognoscenti here may have a different opinion on such matters.

15 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

They may be printed in the standing rules, but isn't an election procedure a rule of order?

An election procedure might include a combination of rules of order and standing rules. I agree that the rule in this instance is a rule of order. But if this organization’s bylaws say it’s a standing rule, then it’s a standing rule, at least as the term is used in the organization. It may well be that the document referred to as the standing rules includes a combination of standing rules and rules of order. I assume that the document itself specifies the requirements for its amendment, and those rules will take precedence over RONR.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.