The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is a motion only good for one year?

Voting Member

My organization voted two years ago to have new officers take office on a specific date each year.  The Parliamentarian has yet to publish a new copy of the standing rules but we have referenced this vote each year when discussing officer changeover and it has been our accepted practice for over forty years.  

Now, the incoming board wants to take office immediately and the claim is that a motion expires after one year.  This was a duly made motion that was seconded and received a unanimous vote of the membership but again, the Parliamentarian has yet to publish new standing rules.  I have never heard that a passed motion expires after one year?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
37 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

Is no one else concerned about the use of a standing rule to modify terms of office?

I've seen enough querents here use "standing rule" to cover any kind of rule, so I make no assumption.

6 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Is no one else concerned about the use of a standing rule to modify terms of office?

I am. Shouldn't when officers assume their duties be defined in the bylaws? Standing rules can be modified almost at will. Is this the type of thing they should be doing?

15 hours ago, Voting Member said:

My question really is more about motions expiring, rather than the content of the motion, but thanks for the feedback!

But you should be concerned with whether the motion itself is valid. Only an amendment to the bylaws is sufficient to change the time at when the officers take office, unless your bylaws provide otherwise. A standing rule which conflicts with your bylaws was invalid and is null and void, which makes the question of when it expires moot. If the bylaws are silent on when officers take office, they take office immediately upon election.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.