The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who officially approves the minutes

Guest Secretary

There is a meeting tonight but there will not be a quorum. The vp and secretary will be there. Can the minutes be approved before hand by the board members through email? In our bylaws, it’s stated that we can adopt voting methods by computer access. But I’m not sure if it was adopted or needs to be adopted by vote at the meeting. 

1 minute ago, Guest Secretary said:

There is a meeting tonight but there will not be a quorum. The vp and secretary will be there. Can the minutes be approved before hand by the board members through email? In our bylaws, it’s stated that we can adopt voting methods by computer access. But I’m not sure if it was adopted or needs to be adopted by vote at the meeting. 

Can you explain what you mean when you say that your bylaws provide that you "can adopt voting methods by computer access"?  Better yet, perhaps you can provide an exact quote. 

Unless your bylaws provide otherwise, approval of minutes must take place at a regular or properly called meeting at which a quorum is present.

2.8. Voting. The voting rights of the Members shall be as set forth in the Declaration and in these By-Laws, and such voting rights provisions are specifically incorporated by this reference. The Board may adopt policies and procedures regarding the methods of casting votes, such as written ballots, secret ballots or computer access.

2 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Unless your bylaws provide otherwise, approval of minutes must take place at a regular or properly called meeting at which a quorum is present.

Dan, would such a rule have to be in  the bylaws, or would a special rule of order suffice. For example, could an SRO validly provide that if there is no quorum at a particular meeting (say Meeting #2), the minutes of the previous meeting (Meeting #1) may be approved by the board of directors rather than being held for the next regular meeting?

12 hours ago, Weldon Merritt said:

Dan, would such a rule have to be in  the bylaws, or would a special rule of order suffice. For example, could an SRO validly provide that if there is no quorum at a particular meeting (say Meeting #2), the minutes of the previous meeting (Meeting #1) may be approved by the board of directors rather than being held for the next regular meeting?

I think such a special rule of order can be validly adopted by the membership's assembly, but I think it will take a bylaw provision in order to authorize any entity to approve minutes outside of a regular or properly called meeting at which a quorum is present.

4 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think such a special rule of order can be validly adopted by the membership's assembly, but I think it will take a bylaw provision in order to authorize any entity to approve minutes outside of a regular or properly called meeting at which a quorum is present.

Thanks, Dan. That makes sense.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.