The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does call the previous question include amendments

LIH

Scenario:

Main motion 1

Amendment A passes

Amendment B is being debated

Call the previous motion

If I am calling the previous question, can I choose to call just Motion 1 or just Motion 1A or Motion 1AB? Or do I have to include everything pending?

(It seems that even though Amendment A has passed, it is still pending.)

Thanks

I presume "Amendment B" is is an amendment to the main motion, which, earlier had already been amended by A.

"Amendment A" is NOT pending - it was, you say, adopted. The decision was made to change (amend) part of the main motion.

You are free to "Call the previous question" (not "motion") on the now pending B alone or on both.  See page 197 for how those two possibilities overlap.

1 hour ago, LIH said:

Scenario:

Main motion 1

Amendment A passes

Amendment B is being debated

Call the previous motion

If I am calling the prevWhatious question, can I choose to call just Motion 1 or just Motion 1A or Motion 1AB? Or do I have to include everything pending?

(It seems that even though Amendment A has passed, it is still pending.)

Thanks

What was immediately pending at this time, prior to moving the previous question, was Amendment B. Also pending at that point is not Amendment A, but rather the main motion as aready amended by Amendment A. 

So, you can move the previous question on Amendment B alone (the default) or additionally, as far down the list of pending motions as you choose to go, up to and including all pending questions.  In this instance, the list is only two items long, so you have a choice of moving the PQ two different ways: B alone, or everything.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

While you are debating Amendment B you have two motions pending: Amendment B (the Immediately Pending motion) and the Main Motion.

Any motion of higher rank than Amend could be moved and seconded and then also become pending. That includes all the secondary motions other than Postpone Indefinitely as well as Incidental Motions (although they are rarely subject to the Previous Question, which is what your original post was about).

51 minutes ago, Rev Ed said:

I quess the obvious question would be what your intent is with moving the previous question? Is it to pass the main motion without the amendment passing or is it to ensure the amendment passes?

Just to make sure there's no confusion, the previous question cannot be moved or adopted on just the main motion if it has pending amendments. The previous question may be called on the pending amendment and may be called on all pending questions, which would include the amendment and the main motion, with the amendment being voted on 1st.

RevEd: Well, in the typical case, the previous question is moved when no new thoughts are coming out, and it's time to take the vote and be done with it. I don't think it weighs in significantly on either side of an issue.  Regardless of how I feel about an issue, if it's clear that the majority have made up their minds one way or another, additional debate starts to look like a waste of time.

Richard Brown:  Yes, That's an important point.  The motion for the PQ must include at least the immediately pending (now the immediately previous) question.  Then if there is some number of stacked pending motions below that, the PQ can reach down one, two, or as many levels as there are, to and including the main motion itself.  But it must always start with the immediately pending question, and no lower level can be skipped over.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.