The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Associate Membership

Abe

19 minutes ago, Abe said:

I belong to a 501 ( c ) 3 organization and we are considering adding associate members. Does Roberts Rules of Order address the difference between the two types of members 

No it does not.  It leaves that up to the society.

19 minutes ago, Abe said:

how to incorporate associate members into our organization. 

The bylaws need to be amended to provide for them.

It's an excellent idea to specify exactly what rights and obligations (if any) they have.   See RONR (11th ed. ), pp. 571-72 

Edited by George Mervosh

1 hour ago, Abe said:

I belong to a 501 ( c ) 3 organization and we are considering adding associate members. Does Roberts Rules of Order address the difference between the two types of members and how to incorporate associate members into our organization. Any help or direction on how to accomplish this is welcomed.

47 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

No it does not.  It leaves that up to the society.

The bylaws need to be amended to provide for them.

It's an excellent idea to specify exactly what rights and obligations (if any) they have.   See RONR (11th ed. ), pp. 571-72 

I agree with Mr. Mervosh and want to emphasize the last sentence of his post which I have highlighted.  We get many questions... too many questions.... about what rights associate members have.  This should be specified in your bylaws.  The bylaws could either specify what rights the associate members have, such as "the right to attend meetings, to make motions, and to speak in debate but not to vote", or they can say something to the effect that "Associate members shall have all of the rights and privileges of regular members except for the right to vote".    If you just say that "associate members shall not have the right to vote", that leaves open the question of exactly what rights they do have.  It causes problems.  Spell it out.

• 6 months later...

Question withdrawn, as it might be construed as relating to my pre-course preparation for the PRP certification course.

Edited by Ken Soo
I encountered this question in preparing for the NAP professional qualifying and realized that asking it might be construed as seeking help on the pre-course requirements.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.