The Official RONR Q & A Forums

annual general meetings and motions

Guest harrison

This Association does not have to have a quorum for an annual general meeting.  If a motion is past and then at the next meeting a vote was taken to revisit this motion at a 

special meeting.  Does the association have to have a 2/3rd vote. In their bylaws there is not mention of a quorum or a 2/3rd vote.  Can this association have this

special meeting.

Guest Harrison, I'm not sure I understand what happened and I also question your statement that a quorum is not required at your annual meeting. What, exactly, do your bylaws say about a quorum generally for meetings and what do they say about the Quorum for the annual meeting? Please quote exactly, don't paraphrase.

Pursuant to the rules in RONR, an adopted motion, assuming it was properly adopted, may be rescinded or amended at a later meeting. If prior notice is given of the motion to rescind, it may be rescinded (or amended) by an ordinary majority vote. However, if previous notice of the motion is not given, a motion to rescind (or amend) requires a two-thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the entire membership.

The foregoing paragraph assumes that the motion was validly adopted. However, if there was not a quorum at the meeting at which it was adopted, there is nothing to rescind or amend and the motion may be declared null and void based on someone raising a point of order.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited to clarify that the same rule applies to a motion to amend as to a motion to rescind. I also added then deleted a paragraph. I will make it in a new post.

50 minutes ago, Guest harrison said:

Can this association have this special meeting?

It is permissible to have a special meeting for the purpose of taking up a motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted provided your bylaws permit special meetings.  Do they? 

If notice of the motion is included in the call of the special meeting as it should be, it can then be rescinded or amended at the special meeting by a majority vote.  The notice should not just say that the purpose of the special meeting is to "revisit" the motion.  The notice should specify that it is to consider a motion to rescind or amend the previously adopted motion

2 hours ago, Guest harrison said:

This Association does not have to have a quorum for an annual general meeting.  If a motion is past and then at the next meeting a vote was taken to revisit this motion at a 

special meeting.  Does the association have to have a 2/3rd vote. In their bylaws there is not mention of a quorum or a 2/3rd vote.  Can this association have this

special meeting.  Our bylaws does not require a quorum for annual general meeting.

Guest harrison/harrion, you did not answer my questions.  You simply restated your original comment/question.    Please tell us EXACTLY, verbatim, what your bylaws say about not requiring a quorum at the annual general membership meeting.  Please don't paraphrase, but quote the provision exactly, verbatim, word for word.  If your bylaws are simply silent about a quorum and RONR is your parliamentary authority, then you do in fact have a quorum requirement, per RONR, and that requirement is a majority of the entire membership.

Also, what do your bylaws say about special meetings?  You can't have them at all unless they are authorized in the bylaws.

Edited to add:  In one of my two previous posts I set out the vote requirement for rescinding or amending something previously adopted.  A two thirds vote (or, as an alternative, the vote of a majority of the entire membership) is necessary, per RONR, to rescind or amend something previously adopted if previous notice of the motion to rescind or amend was not given.  If previous notice is given, a majority vote is sufficient.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
5 hours ago, Guest harrison said:

Does the association have to have a 2/3rd vote. In their bylaws there is not mention of a quorum or a 2/3rd vote.  Can this association have this

special meeting.

Two-thirds votes are required in a few special cases, but the general rule is that a majority vote decides. If the bylaws do not specify a quorum, then it the quorum is a majority (more than half) of total members. Special meetings are permitted only if authorized in the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.