The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3rd vote

Guest harrison

Our bylaws state that 2/3rd vote is require for any bylaw changes only.  Our annual general meeting is by show of hands unless it is financial .  It has bee queried that we need 2/3rd vote for a motion to carry or to

be rescinded., but there is nowhere in our bylaws that state this.  We do not need  quorum for our annual general meeting.  In addition we can call a special meeting and give notice that it is for a motion

to be made to rescind a previous motion.  Is there any stipulation as to the number as to how the count should go.

Is this a different matter other than the one Mr. Brown is trying to help you with here?   https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/32099-annual-general-meetings-and-motions/  I don't understand the facts or questions asked in either thread.

Edited by George Mervosh

7 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Is this a different matter other than the one Mr. Brown is trying to help you with here?   https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/32099-annual-general-meetings-and-motions/  I don't understand the facts or questions asked in either thread.

Yes,  we are just trying to clarify when 2/3rdvote of a membership is require.

1 hour ago, Guest harrison said:

Our bylaws state that 2/3rd vote is require for any bylaw changes only.  Our annual general meeting is by show of hands unless it is financial .  It has bee queried that we need 2/3rd vote for a motion to carry or to

be rescinded., but there is nowhere in our bylaws that state this.  We do not need  quorum for our annual general meeting.  In addition we can call a special meeting and give notice that it is for a motion

to be made to rescind a previous motion.  Is there any stipulation as to the number as to how the count should go.

Guest Harrison, I believe I answered these questions in the other thread as best we can without your answering the questions we have asked you.  I have explained in detail twice the vote requirement to rescind or amend something previously adopted.  You have said three times now that you don't need a quorum at annual general membership meetings, but, finding that very hard to believe, I have asked you at least twice to quote the bylaw provision which states that there is no quorum requirement at your annual general membership meetings.  You still have not answered. 

But, ignoring that for now, I have told you twice in the other thread what the vote requirement is to rescind or amend something previously adopted.  I'm not going to repeat it here a third time.

Guest Harrison is obviously a newbie and trying to get his/her bearings.

Harrison: Please answer Mr. Brown's question that you have neglected and he, and others, will help you as best we can. We cannot see the sweat bead coming off your forehead, so just play it cool and everything will be all right.

1 hour ago, Transpower said:

A 2/3 vote is a standing vote--not a show of hands.

Well, generally, yes, but not necessarily.  Here is what RONR actually says on page 401 about taking a two thirds vote:  "In determining whether a question has obtained two thirds of the votes cast, the chair should take a rising vote (or, in a very small assembly, if he prefers and no one objects, a vote by show of hands), and he should obtain a count of the vote whenever he is in doubt concerning the result."

I suspect that the manner of taking the two thirds vote is the least of Guest Harrison's worries right now, but who knows. He's still trying to figure out  when it's even required.  We don't know how many people attend his meetings.   If it's a relatively small meeting, I wouldn't worry too much about whether the vote is taken by a rising vote or a show of hands.  If they prefer a show of hands, and the vote is close or inconclusive, then take it again as a counted rising vote.