The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion status changes after discovery of voters' ineligibility

Guest aliris

Is there a codified definition of "long-noticed"?  Since we're Brown-acted we post 72 hours in advance in multiple public places.  As well, I happened to alert various folks via personal FB and the word was "out" flying about social media a good week or more in advance; but perhaps the informal pipeline doesn't count at all. I'm hoping the Brown Act provides a formal definition; is it adequate or is there another?

On 7/18/2018 at 7:52 AM, Joshua Katz said:

Well, you can plumb the depths of parliamentary procedure on this, but I think there's probably an easier answer, given that it failed initially. Just make the motion again at the next meeting, and (unless there are attendance issues) it should pass. I think that's easier because a point of order challenging the initial failure would need to happen at a meeting anyway.

So.... given that this was not a plain-jane motion but a motion to amend something already adopted, does that change the ability to "just make the motion again"?

10 hours ago, aliris said:

Is there a codified definition of "long-noticed"?  Since we're Brown-acted we post 72 hours in advance in multiple public places.  As well, I happened to alert various folks via personal FB and the word was "out" flying about social media a good week or more in advance; but perhaps the informal pipeline doesn't count at all. I'm hoping the Brown Act provides a formal definition; is it adequate or is there another?

RONR’s definition of previous notice is that notice be provided orally at the previous meeting or included in the call of the meeting. Since this is a public body, you may well have your own rules for notice.

6 hours ago, Atul Kapur, PRP "Student" said:

Well, if you want to make the motion again, then you will have to provide notice again, otherwise it will require a two-thirds vote.

Since this is a public body governed by California’s version of an “open meeting law,” I would not be surprised if notice is required for pretty much everything anyway.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.