The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Term Limits

coronacars

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

You will need to line up your support in advance, then, as the leaders of the organization appear intent on continuing their unjustified reign. You should be prepared for the chair to steamroll over your point of order and appeal or not understand how to handle them. In particular, read "Remedies for Abuse of Authority by the Chair in a Meeting" (RONR [11th ed], p. 650–653). Ultimately, getting your way will depend, as always, on convincing a majority to go along with you.

Just now, coronacars said:

We have a good amount of support with us. 

In general, it's worth ensuring they'll be at the meeting, and assigning roles. Who will move to appeal, and who will second? If applicable, line up people to be standing at each mic before the motion is made, and talking points for whoever gets to speak first.

2 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

In general, it's worth ensuring they'll be at the meeting, and assigning roles. Who will move to appeal, and who will second? If applicable, line up people to be standing at each mic before the motion is made, and talking points for whoever gets to speak first.

Thank you.  We will.  

3 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

As does avoiding superfluous words. I think this is a case of dueling canons, and I'm not aware of a rule saying that the intent wins out over other rules of interpretation.

It is correct that there is no such rule, and I did not mean to suggest that there is. It just seemed to me that your original statement may have been read as suggesting that intent does not matter at all in these cases. I merely wished to clarify that this is not the case.

Edited by Josh Martin

20 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

It is correct that there is no such rule, and I did not mean to suggest that there is. It just seemed to me that your original statement may have been read as suggesting that intent does not matter at all in these cases. I merely wished to clarify that this is not the case.

In that case, I agree.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.