The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of Interest

Guest Fighter fir Rights

4 minutes ago, Guest Figher for Rights said:

Is this something that can be amended into the bylaws? For example “shall not be on more than one board in the same officer position”

Requirement/restrictions for holding an office are properly found in the bylaws, yes, although we don't provide suggested bylaw language here.

11 hours ago, Guest Figher for Rights said:

Is this something that can be amended into the bylaws? For example “shall not be on more than one board in the same officer position”

Well,  I'd want see the rest of that sentence, but I'd probably vote No on that.  It gets rather dicey having bylaws that propose to regulate one's participation in other organizations.  Also I don't think "same officer position" is sufficiently well defined.

I tend to trust such matters to the electorate.  If they think this would be a problem, they will presumably vote for someone else.  I wish I had a buck for every organization that found itself caught short (usually for a treasurer, as it happens) because of some provision in the bylaws that disqualified or term-limited the only person willing to serve.  They usually come here hoping there is some emergency provision in RONR to get around their own bylaws, and are saddened when they get the bad news.

Yes, the electorate has proven itself quite wise lately...

I have no idea what this organization should do, but I'm a little less trusting in the wisdom of crowds, it seems, than most here. Sometimes, I think organizations need to prohibit certain things in their bylaws precisely because they know themselves, and know that, in the moment, electing the one person nominated, despite a conflict, will be easier than working harder to find a non-conflicted candidate. Special circumstances also present themselves if one or the other position is appointed rather than elected.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

I heartily agree. It is a shame to see the path of virtue trumped by a mercurial electorate.

Sometimes, when the officers charged with executive, legislative, and judicial functions prove unworthy of trust, and the bylaws, which cannot enforce themselves, fail to protect the society because they are not followed; points of order are ruled not well-taken; and appeals are not sustained by the majority of the governing body, then the electorate becomes the last, best, hope for the future of the society.

Just sayin'.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.