The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Call of a meeting

Scott Fischer

Pertinent information:

An organization has adopted RONR 11th edition as its parliamentary authority. The bylaws of the organization state the day of the week, month, and time of regular meetings. At the last meeting the executive board recommended a budget. That recommendation was adopted by the organization. The executive board now wishes to make enough changes to the budget, i.e. multiple line items,  that they feel a recommendation to amend something previously adopted and wholesale replacement of the budget would be best.

Questions: Is it required to give notice, or call, of a regular meeting if the bylaws are as stated above? Is it improper to do so? If notice is given, would it be proper to include in the call a notice of the recommendation the executive board intends to offer so as to reduce the vote requirement for passage from a two-thirds vote to a majority vote?

For the record, I believe the answers to the questions I asked are: No - RONR p.89, ll. 5-10,  No, and Yes - RONR p. 306, ll. 26-30 but I would appreciate confirmation or correction.

I agree with your answers, but I'm bothered by this:

1 hour ago, Scott Fischer said:

The executive board now wishes to make enough changes to the budget, i.e. multiple line items,  that they feel a recommendation to amend something previously adopted and wholesale replacement of the budget would be best.

If the budget was adopted by the assembly, any change would require a motion to amend something previously adopted. There is no threshold under which they can do it in some other way.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

I believe what is bothering Mr. Katz (and me) is that you said the board has made enough changes to recommend amending something previously adopted, as if had they only made a few small changes, approval would not be required. That is not the case unless the budget motion gave the board some amount of leeway.

11 hours ago, Scott Fischer said:

Questions: Is it required to give notice, or call, of a regular meeting if the bylaws are as stated above? Is it improper to do so? If notice is given, would it be proper to include in the call a notice of the recommendation the executive board intends to offer so as to reduce the vote requirement for passage from a two-thirds vote to a majority vote?

For the record, I believe the answers to the questions I asked are: No - RONR p.89, ll. 5-10,  No, and Yes - RONR p. 306, ll. 26-30 but I would appreciate confirmation or correction.

Yes, this is correct.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.