The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absence of Local Organization Guidelines

Guest K. Brown

If the local arm of a national organization does not have Bylaws or Standing Rules addressing a particular process, does Robert's Rule state they shall abide by the National guidelines?  If so, can you please share what the rules are and where I can find this information?

Thank you

You'll need to look to the National Guidelines (and any other applicable governing documents) to see what (if anything) they say on the subject.  Some National organizations may like to keep their subordinates closely in line with them (so there is very little leeway for them to vary from the National).  Then again, some may give their subordinates wide latitude to do what they want.

7 hours ago, Guest K. Brown said:

If the local arm of a national organization does not have Bylaws or Standing Rules addressing a particular process, does Robert's Rule state they shall abide by the National guidelines?  If so, can you please share what the rules are and where I can find this information?

Thank you

RONR doesn't address this directly but presumably the National organization's rules would.  If they don't, it's difficult to imagine why the local organization would not have its own bylaws that are, to some extent, aligned with the national rules.

I don't know of a case where a national organization had its own rules, but the local used nothing but RONR.  After all, RONR doesn't anticipate that all organizations using it are necessarily a part of any larger organization.

3 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

RONR doesn't address this directly but presumably the National organization's rules would.  If they don't, it's difficult to imagine why the local organization would not have its own bylaws that are, to some extent, aligned with the national rules.

I don't know of a case where a national organization had its own rules, but the local used nothing but RONR.  After all, RONR doesn't anticipate that all organizations using it are necessarily a part of any larger organization.

Gary, Guest K. Brown (no relation that I know of, although my wife's initial is also K) is not saying her local organization does not have bylaws.  She is saying it has no bylaws or standing rules addressing a particular process. 

Guest K. Brown, it would help if you can tell us a bit more about just what this "process" is that you are wrestling with.

4 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Gary, Guest K. Brown (no relation that I know of, although my wife's initial is also K) is not saying her local organization does not have bylaws.  She is saying it has no bylaws or standing rules addressing a particular process. 

Guest K. Brown, it would help if you can tell us a bit more about just what this "process" is that you are wrestling with.

Ah, okay I misread that.

But the answer to the question, I think remains unchanged:  The National rules have to be consulted to see if they apply to the local organization.  If they don't apply, or don't cover the situation, then the rules in RONR apply.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.