The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting- If person ran for 2 postions

Guest Paula

We just recently held elections, 1 person ran for 2 positions they won both. The person choose the position they want to take. Now question is the position they gave up does the person they ran against automatically win that position? Or do reopen nominations and vote again? I think the body did it wrong to what they did.And before next meeting we want to be able to say it was done right or wrong, My position on it is the person who ran against them should be taking the position. Please help. Thank you. and where do i find the answer in black and white to show.

5 minutes ago, Guest Paula said:

We just recently held elections, 1 person ran for 2 positions they won both. The person choose the position they want to take. Now question is the position they gave up does the person they ran against automatically win that position? Or do reopen nominations and vote again? I think the body did it wrong to what they did.And before next meeting we want to be able to say it was done right or wrong, My position on it is the person who ran against them should be taking the position. Please help. Thank you. and where do i find the answer in black and white to show.

The person they ran against does not automatically win that position.

"When voting for multiple offices by a single ballot, the members are not able to take the result for one office into account when voting for another office. For this reason, a candidate is never deemed elected to more than one office by a single ballot unless the motion or rules governing the election specifically provide for such simultaneous election. When there is no such provision, a candidate who receives a majority for more than one office on a single ballot must, if present, choose which one of the offices he will accept; if he is absent, the assembly decides by vote the office to be assigned to him. The assembly then ballots again to fill the other office(s). (The assembly is free, however, to elect the same person to another office on a subsequent ballot, unless the bylaws prohibit a person from holding both offices simultaneously.) "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 440

Thank you. And yes it was all done on one ballot. So revoting on a ballot was correct. But all nominations were closed on the first ballot so then the second ballot shold have had only that one persons name then that was running for everyone to vote legally on that person then is this correct by the way i am reading it.

1 minute ago, Guest Guest Paula said:

But all nominations were closed on the first ballot so then the second ballot shold have had only that one persons name then that was running for everyone to vote legally on that person then is this correct by the way i am reading it.

I'm not sure what this is asking, but it may be answered by pointing out that, unless your rules say otherwise, write-ins are permitted.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
52 minutes ago, Guest Guest Paula said:

But all nominations were closed on the first ballot so then the second ballot shold have had only that one persons name then that was running for everyone to vote legally on that person then is this correct by the way i am reading it.

Yes, except a motion to reopen nominations could have been made and adopted by majority vote.

Agreeing with all of the comments by my colleagues, you should hold a new election for the position which is (or will be) vacant.  1. The runner up does not automatically get the office.  There must be another ballot for that office.  2.  Nominations may be re-opened at any time prior to the actual election by a majority vote (or by unanimous consent).  It is not too late to do it now unless you have already had the new election for that office.  3.  Write in votes must be permitted.    

All of the above is based on the assumption that there is no contrary provision in your bylaws.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction

On 12/6/2018 at 1:33 PM, Guest Guest Paula said:

Thank you. And yes it was all done on one ballot. So revoting on a ballot was correct. But all nominations were closed on the first ballot so then the second ballot shold have had only that one persons name then that was running for everyone to vote legally on that person then is this correct by the way i am reading it.

No, the second ballot should include only the one office which remains unfilled, but all nominees who are eligible should be included.  That would include the person who accepted election to the other office, but was also nominated for this office, presuming that he chooses not to withdraw, and that your bylaws permit him to hold both offices.

And if the rules in RONR apply, a motion to reopen nominations would be in order before the second ballot, and would require a majority vote.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.