The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Randall

Minutes were read at a meeting and a statement was recorded in the minutes which was factually inaccurate. Should this inaccuracy be corrected when reading and disposing of minutes since it was actually said at the meeting? Should a notation in the minutes be made, in this example, "Ten seats are open, not eleven"? TIA

Well, the statement probably shouldn't be in the minutes to begin with, since minutes are a record of what is done, not what is said. But if the minutes have been accepted and contain an inaccuracy, they should be corrected by use of the motion to amend something previously adopted (!), which requires a 2/3 vote, a majority vote with notice, or a majority of the entire membership voting in the affirmative. (In my opinion, the statement, and all statements about what was said, should simply be struck, but your organization can decide to change the number instead.) What should not be done, if that is the question, is that the secretary should not simply insert commentary to the effect of "here's the real truth." The minutes must be corrected by the body to which they belong, not annotated by an individual.

1 hour ago, Guest Randall said:

Minutes were read at a meeting and a statement was recorded in the minutes which was factually inaccurate. Should this inaccuracy be corrected when reading and disposing of minutes since it was actually said at the meeting? Should a notation in the minutes be made, in this example, "Ten seats are open, not eleven"? TIA

The statement does not belong in the minutes to begin with (the minutes are a record of what was done, not what was said), but if the statement is kept, the minutes should accurately reflect the statement. If the assembly decides to keep the statement but feels that it will lead to confusion, I suppose a marginal notation could be added, but the statement itself should not be changed.

1 minute ago, Josh Martin said:

The statement does not belong in the minutes to begin with (the minutes are a record of what was done, not what was said), but if the statement is kept, the minutes should accurately reflect the statement. If the assembly decides to keep the statement but feels that it will lead to confusion, I suppose a marginal notation could be added, but the statement itself should not be changed.

1 hour ago, Guest Randall said:

Should this inaccuracy be corrected when reading and disposing of minutes since it was actually said at the meeting?

Ah, I missed the part in the question where the inaccuracy does accurately reflect what was said at the meeting. I agree with Mr. Martin. My apologies.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:18 PM, Joshua Katz said:

Well, the statement probably shouldn't be in the minutes to begin with, since minutes are a record of what is done, not what is said. But if the minutes have been accepted and contain an inaccuracy, they should be corrected by use of the motion to amend something previously adopted (!), which requires a 2/3 vote, a majority vote with notice, or a majority of the entire membership voting in the affirmative. (In my opinion, the statement, and all statements about what was said, should simply be struck, but your organization can decide to change the number instead.) What should not be done, if that is the question, is that the secretary should not simply insert commentary to the effect of "here's the real truth." The minutes must be corrected by the body to which they belong, not annotated by an individual.

But if someone made a statement during a meeting that was counterfactual, and that statement was recorded faithfully in the minutes, that is not an "inaccuracy" and should not be corrected to make it a factual statement, as that would create an innacuracy.. 

It is, however, a statement that doesn't belong in the minutes to begin with, so the proper correction would be to strike it from the minutes.

1 minute ago, Gary Novosielski said:

But if someone made a statement during a meeting that was counterfactual, and that statement was recorded faithfully in the minutes, that is not an "inaccuracy" and should not be corrected to make it a factual statement, as that would create an innacuracy.. 

Agreed. I misread the question.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.