The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer misconduct

Jason Perez

Hello,

The virtual zoom room assembly I am a part of was held last Tuesday.  The Secretary of the ANU (the assembly). acting upon third party hearsay about two assembly members, called the other officers of Great Council and cast a secret vote to remove two assembly members.  Earlier in the assembly, Secretary as was heard to comment upon the mention of one of the assembly members names and commented that that person was affiliated with supporting an unpopular group. A vote was cast by all of the officers away from the assembly while it was in session and the two assembly members were expelled from the assembly.  I was on this assembly call and saw the two of them get booted off with no discussion of the matter. This body's constitution has adopted Roberts Rule of Order. I stepped away to speak to the two assembly members who said nothing while there in the assembly and gathered additional facts before coming onto the call again. By then, the meeting concluded and they were just in committee. 

The vote in secret in my estimation is an agregious violation of the rules of order. How do I bring this up in next Tuesdays call? What points do I make and what call from reprimand can be made? 

Thank you

You would raise a point of order if you think there was a rule violation. 

Strictly by RONR, action must take place at a meeting.  Many organizations do, however, permit conference call meetings in their bylaws, which supersedes RONR.  There may also be a notice requirement.

A definite answer cannot be given without reading your bylaws.  Nobody here has read them. 

You may wish to contact either the National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP) or American Institute of Parliamentarians (AIP) for a referral for a professional parliamentarian.

NAP:  https://www.parliamentarians.org/

AIP:  https://aipparl.org/

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.