The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Release of report discussed in Executive Session

Guest Takobi

Our previous Board read an internally-prepared report (never intended for release) pointing out potential pitfalls in making an agreement with another organization.  This was only discussed in Executive Session and the internal report was not attached anywhere in the Minutes.  Fast forward two years... the current Board is being asked by several individual members to release this report.  Since it was only discussed in Executive Session during the meetings of the previous Board, are we allowed to release it?

18 minutes ago, Guest Takobi said:

Our previous Board read an internally-prepared report (never intended for release) pointing out potential pitfalls in making an agreement with another organization.  This was only discussed in Executive Session and the internal report was not attached anywhere in the Minutes.  Fast forward two years... the current Board is being asked by several individual members to release this report.  Since it was only discussed in Executive Session during the meetings of the previous Board, are we allowed to release it?

The current members of the board could simply review the report themselves or decide in a meeting to lift the secrecy of the matter if they want and release it to others.  The document belongs to the board itself, not its former members, so yes they should have it.

Edited by George Mervosh

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

The report should be on file with the Secretary, available to any board member at a reasonable time and place, just like the minutes of that executive session. RONR says that a meeting of the general membership may order board minutes produced and read; I don't know if this would apply to a filed report as well.

1 hour ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

The report should be on file with the Secretary, available to any board member at a reasonable time and place, just like the minutes of that executive session. RONR says that a meeting of the general membership may order board minutes produced and read; I don't know if this would apply to a filed report as well.

I see no reason why not, although it should be noted that adopting such an action requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice, since this is effectively countermanding the board’s decision to keep the report secret. I would also note that it is advisable in such a case for the general membership to enter executive session if it wishes to take such an action, so that the report will at least remain within the society.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.