The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a committee have multiple reports on an issue representing different viewpoints (e.g. democrats vs. republicans)?

user

Can a committee have multiple reports on an issue representing different viewpoints (e.g. democrats vs. republicans)? Does the majority win and decide what goes in the official committee report?

How does it work in US government where a committee has democrats and republicans which may take two different sides on an issue? Do they have separate majority and minority reports? How would something like that work based on RONR if there are two different major views of a committee?

"Multiple reports?"    Well, yes and no.  There can be only one "Majority Report" consisting of the text adopted by a majority vote of the committee members.  That will be THE Committee Report.

The minority (or any number of sub-minorities)  can write a report but the group to which the committee is reporting is NOT obliged to officially listen (or even pay the slightest attention) to minority reports - see page 527ff.

I have no idea how the US congress does such things -- I'm not sure all of them know either.

It is logically impossible for there to be two (or more!) majorities giving reports.

LOL, and yes there can be multiple minority reports but a lot will depend on what the bylaws say.

And as I got constantly reminded :)) there is no such thing as a majority report, it is merely the committee report (though in our case our bylaws actually call it the majority report).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.