The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can you vote against your own motion?

DennisT

I was at a board meeting yesterday and brought up a topic to discuss.  No motions were made and the topic was left on the table for future consideration.  A fellow board member wanted to grandstand and force a vote so it could be voted down.  So he made a motion to for the subject knowing that he had the numbers to defeat it 4 to 3.   My question is since he made the motion for the subject can he then vote against it?  There was no additional discussion once the motion was made.

Thanks,

Dennis

Your board might, if it wants more efficient and less contentious meetings, consider following the procedures in RONR, whereby the way to suggest an action is to make a motion, which is followed by debate. Introducing "topics for discussion" and leaving the motion for later tends to lead to circular arguments and confusion. 

34 minutes ago, DennisT said:

My question is since he made the motion for the subject can he then vote against it?

As Mr. Gerber has already said, a member may vote against his own motion.  Making a motion in the hopes that  it will be voted down so the organization is somewhat "on record" on the issue is permissible.  However, RONR prohibits a member from speaking against his own motion in debate.  If a member makes a motion which he truly supports, but changes  his mind about it during debate, he can vote against it but cannot speak against it.  He can,  however, ask permission to withdraw the motion. 

12 hours ago, DennisT said:

I was at a board meeting yesterday and brought up a topic to discuss.  No motions were made and the topic was left on the table for future consideration.  A fellow board member wanted to grandstand and force a vote so it could be voted down.  So he made a motion to for the subject knowing that he had the numbers to defeat it 4 to 3.   My question is since he made the motion for the subject can he then vote against it?  There was no additional discussion once the motion was made.

Thanks,

Dennis

Yes, there is no rule preventing a member from voting against his own motion.  There is a rule preventing him from speaking against his own motion in debate.

Since the motion was defeated, it may be renewed (made again) at the next regular meeting.

Interesting. Just so I can make sure I'm clear on this - this was purposefully done so 1) the item was no longer on the table and 2) so it's officially in the minutes that the board already considered this issue and voted against it?

Are there any other reasons? Not sure I fully understand the part where the "board member wanted to grandstand."

4 minutes ago, user said:

Interesting. Just so I can make sure I'm clear on this - this was purposefully done so 1) the item was no longer on the table and 2) so it's officially in the minutes that the board already considered this issue and voted against it?

Are there any other reasons? Not sure I fully understand the part where the "board member wanted to grandstand."

"On the table" is far from the correct terminology. 

The purpose of making a motion that the member opposes has several procedural effects:

1.  It puts the assembly on the record for considering some action and rejecting it. That might be necessary where a board must consider a specific action, based on some rule.  You see this often governmental organizations, like zoning boards.

2.  It suppresses the question for the session,  unless the question is reconsidered. 

1 minute ago, J. J. said:

"On the table" is far from the correct terminology. 

The purpose of making a motion that the member opposes has several procedural effects:

1.  It puts the assembly on the record for considering some action and rejecting it. That might be necessary where a board must consider a specific action, based on some rule.  You see this often governmental organizations, like zoning boards.

2.  It suppresses the question for the session,  unless the question is reconsidered. 

Ok. Got it. Thanks. I was just using that terminology because DennisT mentioned the "topic was left on the table for future consideration," so I figured it was done to take it off the table or something.

Just now, user said:

Ok. Got it. Thanks. I was just using that terminology because DennisT mentioned the "topic was left on the table for future consideration," so I figured it was done to take it off the table or something.

Many organizations both use words incorrectly, and handle motions incorrectly. In this instance, for example, a motion is on the floor, not table, while under consideration - and here, there was no motion on the floor either, because the chair was allowing discussion without a motion.

Just now, user said:

Under RONR, a motion "to lay the pending question(s) on the table"  will temporally suppress the question.  

Furthermore, there is nothing preventing the motion from being renewed at a subsequent session (and for most organizations, every meeting is a separate session). While it means that the Board is now officially on record as disapproving of the action, procedurally it does not make the slightest difference to the Board deciding to do so later.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Guest VMuller said:

Hello,  what chapter and section addresses the fact that the person making the motion (sponsor) can vote either for or against?  Txs

"REFRAINING FROM SPEAKING AGAINST ONE'S OWN MOTION. In debate, the maker of a motion, while he can vote against it, is not allowed to speak against his own motion. He need not speak at all, but if he does he is obliged to take a favorable position. If he changes his mind while the motion he made is pending, he can, in effect, advise the assembly of this by asking permission to withdraw the motion (pp. 295–97). "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 393

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.