The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Incorrect Ballot in previous election

jcmath

Hello. I was wondering what would happen in the following case:

• An assembly, in voting for treasurer, mistakenly included a "no" option on an election ballot.
  • The nominee received more "no" votes than "yes" votes, and the assembly adjourned without doing another election.
  • The assembly is having a called meeting for the continuation of that election, and realized their mistake in having a "no" box.

Could this assembly simply meet, announce the error, indicate that the individual was in fact elected, and adjourn?

Note: the bylaws do not allow for write-in votes.

Agreeing with Transpower, at the new election this person remains eligible for election and should be on the ballot again if he has been nominated. If he has already been nominated, there should be no need to nominate him again. He is still a candidate. When the first ballot ends with no one being elected, all names remain on the ballot for subsequent ballots.

Also, unless your rules provide otherwise, nominations can be reopened to promote additional nominations. Write-in candidates must also be permitted unless prohibited by your bylaws.

8 hours ago, jcmath said:

• An assembly, in voting for treasurer, mistakenly included a "no" option on an election ballot.
  • The nominee received more "no" votes than "yes" votes, and the assembly adjourned without doing another election.
  • The assembly is having a called meeting for the continuation of that election, and realized their mistake in having a "no" box.

Could this assembly simply meet, announce the error, indicate that the individual was in fact elected, and adjourn?

Are you saying that the bylaws do not say that write-ins are allowed, or are you saying the bylaws prohibit write-ins?

If the bylaws do not authorize write-ins, that's fine; RONR does authorize them, so they're allowed.

If the bylaws prohibit write-ins, then they're not allowed.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:18 AM, jcmath said:

The correct procedure in this instance is to hold another round of voting. “For example, although RONR says that “for” or “against” ballots should not be used in an election, RONR (10th ed.), p. 399, l. 34-35; p. 416, l. 11-14, it sometimes happens. When voters are led to understand that they can vote against candidates in this fashion, their doing so must obviously be credited.” (Official Interpretation 2006-5) As a consequence of crediting these votes, no candidate received a majority, and therefore another vote must be taken,

Additionally, I concur with my colleagues that you should double-check what the bylaws say concerning write-in votes

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.