The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Petitions or Resolutions

Guest George Lawton

I am a member of an organization that operates with modified Robert’s Rules. Recently 2 very similar organizations merged and adopted new rules. Both bodies and the new one allowed members to submit requests for changes in the rules, operating procedures and official stances on issues for decision at the annual meeting. One of the former organizations called these requests “Petitions.” The other called them “Resolutions.” The merged organization adopted the “Resolution” language. I believe a Petition is a request for action submitted by a qualified individual to the body and a Resolution is what the body decides to do. Is there a real difference between these two words?

A resolution is basically a formal word for a motion.... or perhaps a formally worded motion.  A petition has no particular meaning in parliamentary procedure.  i've always looked at a petition as a form of a request, usually formal, as in a petition for a change in zoning presented to a government official by a group of homeowners.  Some court filings are deemed petitions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.