The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion Voted to be Withdrawn: In the Minutes or Not?

morgaine101

8 hours ago, morgaine101 said:

There was a call to withdraw the motion.
The assembly voted to withdraw the motion. 

I did not know that an assembly could actually withdraw a motion. My reading of the rules suggests they could have rejected the motion or voted to Postpone Indefinitely. But not actually withdraw it.

8 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

I did not know that an assembly could actually withdraw a motion. My reading of the rules suggests they could have rejected the motion or voted to Postpone Indefinitely. But not actually withdraw it.

The assembly doesn't actually withdraw the motion, but the assembly can grant the mover permission to withdraw the motion once it has been stated by the chair and is the property of the assembly.   See pages 295-296.

9 hours ago, morgaine101 said:

A motion was put before the assembly.
The motion was discussed.
There was a call to withdraw the motion.
The assembly voted to withdraw the motion. 
Should the motion be entered into the minutes despite a vote to withdraw?

To be proper, the "call to withdraw" would have to be a "request for permission to withdraw," made by the original mover.

The "vote to withdraw" would actually be a vote to grant that permission to the mover.

However, proper or not, the deed, at this point, is done.  And I agree it would not go into the minutes.

13 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

Hopefully what is meant is that the assembly granted the motion maker’s request to withdraw the motion. If not, I concur that the assembly could only postpone the motion indefinitely, in which case the motion would be in the minutes.

Thank you everyone who responded.

I'm not as familiar with RONR as I'd like to be (the book is in the mail), so I apologize for my misuse of the terminology.
The essential of what I wished to know was, if a motion was withdrawn after discussion by the assembly, then was that motion to be included in the minutes or not? You all have answered my question, for which I again thank you.

The secretary of the organization to which I belong was told to include the motion in the minutes even though it had been withdrawn. That didn't sound right to me, so I "Googled" it. My search led me here. I'm too impatient to wait for the books to arrive, so I decided to ask here.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance of correct terminology (soon to be rectified), and for your assistance.

Much appreciated!

Glad to help, don't concern yourself with (initial) problems with the terminology; it grows on one.

I hope your secretary (or the person who "told" your secretary)  now agrees with you (and us)!

Did you include

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will ever need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link:

http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html

in your book order?  It has all the necessary terminology, too.  And you will find it more rapidly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.