The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Settled amendments

Guest William Johnson

Guest William Johnson

If a question, an amendment, has been defeated, when can it be brought up again. I believe this is answered with the Settled Rule, but my question is with the time limit required between the meet where it was defeated and when it can be reconsidered. 

• Dan Honemann changed the title to Settled amendments
3 hours ago, Guest William Johnson said:

If a question, an amendment, has been defeated, when can it be brought up again. I believe this is answered with the Settled Rule, but my question is with the time limit required between the meet where it was defeated and when it can be reconsidered. 

If the defeated motion was a bylaw amendment, you will have to follow the bylaw amendment rules (found in your bylaws) in order to introduce it again.   Typically, this involves notice which might introduce a delay.

There is no such thing as a "Settled Rule" in RONR, so where is that coming from?

6 hours ago, Guest William Johnson said:

If you referring to the subsidiary motion to Amend, the motion may be made again at a subsequent meeting - assuming, of course, that the motion the amendment is applied to is not yet disposed of (such as if it was postponed).

If this is instead a motion to amend something previously adopted, the motion may be made again at a subsequent meeting, but any required notice must be given anew.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.