The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescind and conflicting Rules

Texas_Guy77

10 hours ago, Nathan Zook said:

It is either self-contradictory, or relates to the situation in a different manner than we usually do.  Abstentions and absentees do "count" in our usual procedure in that they affect the computation of the threshold for a vote to succeed.  It seems to me... that this is the intent of #1.  Also, the rule in dispute, again states "two-thirds of the Commission", which again, means that abstentions and absentees do not affect the threshold.

I understand your thoughts, but I'm going with self-contradictory.

You say that in our usual procedure abstentions "count", in that they affect the threshold.  Yet a 50-40 vote, which is a majority, remains unaffected whether there are no abstentions or 100.  There is never a need to "count" abstentions at all, which makes it difficult to say that they "count".  Same goes for absentees.  Votes, and only votes, count.

Abstentions and absentees "count" only insofar as they enable us to algebraically calculate the size of the entire membership.  And that number affects the threshold only when the rule is "of the entire membership".

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.