The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendments to Motions

Guest KC Swallow

A motion that was voted on and passed at our Town Meeting last year was insufficiently broad to cover the scope of work intended.  The work has already gone out for bonding.  Our bond counsel recommends that we amend the article from the previous (adjourned) Town Meeting to broaden the scope.  As Moderator of the town  I ruled that an article or motion from a previous adjourned meeting cannot be amended. I'd like to ask the forum about this issue.

1 minute ago, Guest KC Swallow said:

A motion that was voted on and passed at our Town Meeting last year was insufficiently broad to cover the scope of work intended.  The work has already gone out for bonding.  Our bond counsel recommends that we amend the article from the previous (adjourned) Town Meeting to broaden the scope.  As Moderator of the town  I ruled that an article or motion from a previous adjourned meeting cannot be amended. I'd like to ask the forum about this issue.

Under the rules in RONR, an adopted main motion that is still applicable can be amended.  See §35. RESCIND; AMEND SOMETHING PREVIOUSLY ADOPTED  beginning on p. 305 in RONR (11th ed.).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.