The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Summary Sheet for Robert's Rules of Order

Guest Vicki

Agreeing with Mr. Honemann, you're probably better of starting with RONR In Brief to begin familiarizing yourself with the rules in RONR before you dive into the deep end that is the 11th edition. http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html  

As a friend of ours used to say - "I expect I'm not alone in suggesting emphatically that you first get your RONR - In Brief, without delay, and read it at once.  I keep saying, if you go to a store to buy it, read it standing there.  Maybe move away from in front of the cashier, to allow the other customers to buy their copies.  It should take you an hour or so, unless you're a college graduate -- they can take all day, tomorrow also if they have to tie their shoelaces themselves.  If you're on a lunch break, you'll just have to get back a little late.  If people are depending on you to feed them -- relax, they won't starve.  If you're there by car, give your keys to that cashier, who will be allowed to return them to you when you're finished.  If you have ordered it by mail, don't take the time to get a box-cutter to open the carton:  just have at it with your fangs and claws"

6 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

How come everybody thinks that stuff that is inherently rather complex can be usefully reduced to fit on something the size of a postcard?

Rule 1: "All motions will be admitted or not at the discretion of the chair."

Rule 2: "There shall be no appeal from the decision of the chair."

So, how did I do? Is there still room on the postcard for more?

Incidentally, there is an orange-colored summary sheet, one sheet folded in the middle made into four pages 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 that you may purchase from the NAP, entitled "Basic Parliamentary Information." My "postcard" is not as sophisticated.

9 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

As a friend of ours used to say - "I expect I'm not alone in suggesting emphatically that you first get your RONR - In Brief, without delay, and read it at once.  I keep saying, if you go to a store to buy it, read it standing there.  Maybe move away from in front of the cashier, to allow the other customers to buy their copies.  It should take you an hour or so, unless you're a college graduate -- they can take all day, tomorrow also if they have to tie their shoelaces themselves.  If you're on a lunch break, you'll just have to get back a little late.  If people are depending on you to feed them -- relax, they won't starve.  If you're there by car, give your keys to that cashier, who will be allowed to return them to you when you're finished.  If you have ordered it by mail, don't take the time to get a box-cutter to open the carton:  just have at it with your fangs and claws"

Yeah, he probably wasn't our best salesman but he was surely the most colorful (and charged the lowest commission).

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, Guest Vicki said:

Is there a quick guide/procedures sheet for quick reference?

The National Association of Parliamentarians, in its on-line store, has something called the "Golden Leaflet," it may be similar to what you're seeking.

Edited by Steven Britton
word omission

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.