The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum - Conflict of Interest

Michael Gregoire

Here's the scenario our board recently faced:

- there are a total of 12 members on the board

- 10 show up for the meeting

- on a particular motion, 4 recuse themselves during deliberation and voting due to a conflict of interest

Have they therefore lost quorum? My inclination is that they have not lost quorum, but I can't find anything to support this interpretation

1 minute ago, Michael Gregoire said:

Here's the scenario our board recently faced:

- there are a total of 12 members on the board

- 10 show up for the meeting

- on a particular motion, 4 recuse themselves during deliberation and voting due to a conflict of interest

Have they therefore lost quorum? My inclination is that they have not lost quorum, but I can't find anything to support this interpretation

As far as RONR is concerned, you are correct.

"As indicated on page 21, a quorum in an assembly is the number of members (see definition, p. 3) who must be present in order that business can be validly transacted. The quorum refers to the number of members present, not to the number actually voting on a particular question. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 345  

Also, see http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#9 

2 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

As far as RONR is concerned, you are correct.

"As indicated on page 21, a quorum in an assembly is the number of members (see definition, p. 3) who must be present in order that business can be validly transacted. The quorum refers to the number of members present, not to the number actually voting on a particular question. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 345  

Also, see http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#9 

Thanks for such a speedy reply! The link you've made between 'present' vs. actually voting is helpful.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.