The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New candidates for later rounds of balloting

Nathan Zook

Inspired by https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/33222-multiple-ballotsmultiple-candidates/, I have the following question:

RONR, 11ed, pg 441 ll 1-10 specifies the procedure in the event that a majority is not achieved on the first round of an election.  That is, that the ballot is "repeated" as many times as needed for some candidate to achieve a majority.  Dropping candidates is forbidden (absent a rule) to permit or encourage "dark horse" or "compromise" (pg 437) candidates to emerge.  So what if, after some number of ballots have failed to achieve a majority, some entirely new member were to draw attention as such a candidate?  I see nothing permitting the reopening of nominations.  I would think that a 2/3rds vote to suspend the rules would suffice.  Would it be necessary?  That seems to be the case, which seems unfortunate--only a majority should be required to accomplish an election.

Of course, if I were at a meeting, and someone were to propose such a candidate, I would shut up and "let the body work its will" in any event.  But I am wondering what the black letter rule is.

2 hours ago, Nathan Zook said:

I see nothing permitting the reopening of nominations.

Did you mean to say that a rule exists that bars reopening nominations or that there is no rule on the subject in their bylaws or special rules of order?

When for any reason it is desired to reopen nominations, this can be done by a majority vote.

The time at which nominations shall be closed or reopened can be specified in the motion, or added by amendment.

RONR 11th edition page 289.

If the organization has not created special rules that run contrary to RONR's suggestions in this regard then the subsequent rounds of polling proceed unabated, to use a football analogy. If they do have a rule then the rule could be suspended. If in the bylaws it appears to me to be a rule of order, therefore I am going to guess that it could also be suspended. Lets see what others think about this.

That seems to be the case, which seems unfortunate--only a majority should be required to accomplish an election.

But the 2/3 rule would only affect the motion to Suspend The Rules.

But I am wondering what the black letter rule is.

Since RONR allows nominations to be reopened I see nothing that prevents the assembly from adding additional candidates before any subsequent round of voting.

9 hours ago, Nathan Zook said:

Inspired by https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/33222-multiple-ballotsmultiple-candidates/, I have the following question:

RONR, 11ed, pg 441 ll 1-10 specifies the procedure in the event that a majority is not achieved on the first round of an election.  That is, that the ballot is "repeated" as many times as needed for some candidate to achieve a majority.  Dropping candidates is forbidden (absent a rule) to permit or encourage "dark horse" or "compromise" (pg 437) candidates to emerge.  So what if, after some number of ballots have failed to achieve a majority, some entirely new member were to draw attention as such a candidate?  I see nothing permitting the reopening of nominations.  I would think that a 2/3rds vote to suspend the rules would suffice.  Would it be necessary?  That seems to be the case, which seems unfortunate--only a majority should be required to accomplish an election.

Of course, if I were at a meeting, and someone were to propose such a candidate, I would shut up and "let the body work its will" in any event.  But I am wondering what the black letter rule is.

Reopening of Nominations may occur after any round of balloting and requires only a majority vote.  Closing nominations requireds a 2/3 vote, or may be declared by the chair when no (further) nominations are offered.

11 hours ago, Nathan Zook said:

RONR, 11ed, pg 441 ll 1-10 specifies the procedure in the event that a majority is not achieved on the first round of an election.  That is, that the ballot is "repeated" as many times as needed for some candidate to achieve a majority.  Dropping candidates is forbidden (absent a rule) to permit or encourage "dark horse" or "compromise" (pg 437) candidates to emerge.  (Emphasis added)).

Actually, per the footnote on page 441, the rules may be suspended to drop from the ballot the candidate(s) with the fewest number of votes, although the candidate is merely dropped from the ballot and still remains eligible to be elected by means of write-in votes.  The same thing can be done by means of the adoption of a special rule of order.   Only a rule in the bylaws, however, can make such a "dropped" candidate ineligible for election.

Nominations may re re-opened by a majority vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.