The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Time reached for agreed upon adjournment m-chair’s duties

Guest Catb

Without knowing the start time of the meeting, I may be a bit off base here. A meeting that starts at 12:00 and adjourns at 4:30 is very different than one that starts at 3:30 and adjourns at 4:30. However assuming that sufficient time is generally available for the business at hand, but this meeting is expected to take longer than usual, couldn't the chair simply rule the motion to adjourn at 4:30 as out of order?

1 hour ago, AFS1970 said:

Without knowing the start time of the meeting, I may be a bit off base here. A meeting that starts at 12:00 and adjourns at 4:30 is very different than one that starts at 3:30 and adjourns at 4:30. However assuming that sufficient time is generally available for the business at hand, but this meeting is expected to take longer than usual, couldn't the chair simply rule the motion to adjourn at 4:30 as out of order?

No - there is nothing out of order about fixing an adjournment time. The very high ranking of the motions to adjourn and to fix the time to which to adjourn reflects the right of the assembly to end a meeting at whatever time they choose to do so.

Meeting did start at 3:30. As I mentioned this was a union issue. Contractually the members of the committee only need to work till 4:30. They frequently work till five or 5:30. However there are some union contract issues and we are “work to rule”.

In fact, there of been times that the first motion is to adjourn immediately.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.