Commander Added Unrecorded Comments to Meeting Minutes

hswolfmaniac

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:06 AM, Atul Kapur said:

Just to parse this response a bit: I agree that if the call has already gone out it is  too late to give valid previous notice because members can reasonably expect that notice would have been include with the call.

However, if this is a regular meeting without a separate call being sent out, then couldn't the organization voluntarily send out a valid notice, as long as it is sent a reasonable number of days before the meeting? Mr. Honemann's answer suggests that this would not be valid notice so I'm looking to clarify.

As I had mentioned earlier, the commander was confrontational and hostile towards me when I submitted my letter to the adjutant last month on 15 Mar 2019. Those hostilities continued into last night's, Monday, 08 April 2019, Post meeting. Well, I brought up my motion to Rescind, Amend Something Previously Adopted; however, in the end the debate was not about wrong or right, but it became one of personalities (and whose side are you on?).  Even though the commander eventually admitted he was wrong in adding the after-meeting comments, he still made it look as if I was the bad guy in all of this. He read something (I believe it may have been from Robert's Rules) concerning the difficulty in changing the minutes, and he was adamant in stating the minutes could not be changed until I told him in can be changed with a motion of rescinding or amending something that was previously adopted.  At one point he tried to silence me by telling me I was out of order and I could no longer speak, but I brought up a point of order where I told him he could not silence me. Our District commander was also in attendance, and he too spoke up against me knowing the commander was wrong. The motion was eventually voted on, with the commander saying the nays had the vote. I challenged the vote and called for a count, which the commander didn't particularly like, so the commander, after a quick discussion, had to call for a count: 5 yeas, 16 nays. Ironically, the voting was 5 yeas against 16 nays, which was the reverse of what we, RONR community quorum, had discussed. The membership paid no attention to my motion or the reasoning behind it. I didn't give previous notice for next month's meeting because I would need an additional 12-13 members to vote yea in order to have a unanimous vote of 17-18 versus the 16. I would need 33-34 members present in order to make it possible for a unanimous yea vote. That was too many for me to consider bringing up a previous notice for next month. Like I said, it was no longer a question of right or wrong, but who was on the commander's side. Apparently there are people in organizations that are not willing to listen to reasoning.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Edited by hswolfmaniac
Update of meeting, and appreciation for help.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.