The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When does a Parliamentarian step in

Guest Roberta

The Parliamentarian is an advisor to the chair. In general, he should wait for the chair to ask him questions. If something is severe enough (i.e. rights being trampled) he should signal the chair that they need to consult, and the chair should have the assembly stand at ease while he speaks to the Parliamentarian. The Parliamentarian should not address the assembly, however.

• Dan Honemann changed the title to When does a Parliamentarian step in
7 minutes ago, Drake Savory said:

I always would hand the Chair a post-it with whatever I needed to tell him and let him take it from there.  

I hesitate to agree with "always" because one of the things I work out ahead of time is "when I need you to stop, you agree to stop." After we've talked, the chair will decide what he decides, and of course I use this very sparingly, but I use a little card with a stop sign on it to signal this situation. I also keep a few other cards out that I can slip to him - in order, out of order, majority, 2/3, etc.

Whenever possible, I now do my advising electronically. I have a computer in front of me and the presiding officer has an iPad. In an electronic meeting environment, I can send over motion scripts, messages (in big bold red type when necessary), or anything else I want to communicate.

1 hour ago, Joshua Katz said:

I hesitate to agree with "always" because one of the things I work out ahead of time is "when I need you to stop, you agree to stop." After we've talked, the chair will decide what he decides, and of course I use this very sparingly, but I use a little card with a stop sign on it to signal this situation. I also keep a few other cards out that I can slip to him - in order, out of order, majority, 2/3, etc.

I had post its in different colors depending on the urgency.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.