The Official RONR Q & A Forums

membership over-riding the bylaws

Guest kevin

Motion on travel reimbursement.  Our by-laws say no fewer than two members in a car.  We can't send smokers and non-smokers together, we have one member who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and other issues.  Sometimes we only send one person.  i know it doesn't make sense, but technically that would force us to send an extra body to comply with this.

Just now, Guest kevin said:

Motion on travel reimbursement.  Our by-laws say no fewer than two members in a car.  We can't send smokers and non-smokers together, we have one member who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and other issues.  Sometimes we only send one person.  i know it doesn't make sense, but technically that would force us to send an extra body to comply with this.

No, a rule regarding travel reimbursement may not be suspended under the rules in RONR.  If the membership takes such an action you will need to raise a point of order (hopefully immediately, but any time will do ) in a regular or properly called meeting with a quorum present.

13 minutes ago, Guest kevin said:

Thank you for your response.  What is your take on sending just one member.  Would it be proper to send only one delegate under this by-law, or would we be forced to send two ?

This is not a question about parliamentary procedure, but about your organization's own specific rule. Only you (collectively) can decide what the rule means and how it applies. Start by reading the actual wording of the complete rule as stated in the bylaws.

2 hours ago, Guest kevin said:

Thank you.  I was just wondering that since our wording states that no fewer than two members per car if driving,  if I should raise a point of order and call the motion to just send one person out of order per the by-laws.

It is up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws. If the motion does conflict with the bylaws, it should be ruled out of order.

In the long run, it may be prudent to amend the bylaws to remove this rule entirely, provide for specific exceptions, or provide a mechanism to suspend the rule.

Edited by Josh Martin

To expand on Mr. Martin's last point, the bylaws could be amended for this provision to include a method on how and when it can be suspended. You can do that if you don't want to strike it out entirely.

For example, you could say which body can suspend it (one officer, exec committee, board, membership meeting), what vote it would require, and any specific reasons which would be valid reasons to suspend.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.