The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committees

Guest Joanne

If you have a Standing Committee that is appointed by a President of a club  - and it's not clear which standing committee is responsible for a task. If half of the executive thinks committee A is responsible and the other half of the executive thinks committee B is responsible - how do you resolve this and make a decision. There is no reference in the bylaws to this situation. Does the President decide because since they appointed the committee it is assumed they have control over it.. or do you take it to the membership for a vote? 

44 minutes ago, Guest Joanne said:

...and it's not clear which standing committee is responsible for a task.

Definitely a problem.

44 minutes ago, Guest Joanne said:

...how do you resolve this and make a decision.

Normally standing committees are established by name in the bylaws and their responsibilities are also explicitly mentioned.

46 minutes ago, Guest Joanne said:

Does the President decide because since they appointed the committee it is assumed they have control over it..

I doubt very seriously that the president gets to decide what role any committee would fill regardless of who appoints the committee unless there is some very specific language in the bylaws authorizing this.

49 minutes ago, Guest Joanne said:

.. or do you take it to the membership for a vote? 

If there is doubt as to what committee performs what task and the possibility exists to throw this problem to the assembly then I would definitely let the assembly decide such matters. It seems fairly obvious, at least to me, that some bylaw amendment is in order that would clarify what role the various committees should have and not leave things to chance.

5 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

If there is doubt as to what committee performs what task and the possibility exists to throw this problem to the assembly then I would definitely let the assembly decide such matters. It seems fairly obvious, at least to me, that some bylaw amendment is in order that would clarify what role the various committees should have and not leave things to chance.

I certainly agree the assembly should decide and the bylaws should be as clear as possible, but the problem of which committee a task should be assigned to isn't always black and white as evidenced by what is said in RONR on pp. 173-174 (especially #4 on p. 174).  Sometimes the water is cloudy.

2 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

I certainly agree the assembly should decide and the bylaws should be as clear as possible, but the problem of which committee a task should be assigned to isn't always black and white as evidenced by what is said in RONR on pp. 173-174 (especially #4 on p. 174).  Sometimes the water is cloudy.

Excellent point; I hadn't thought of that.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.