The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can Postpone be Rescinded? And What Then?

jstackpo

Given:  At the previous meeting, a main motion (MM) was made, debated for a while, then properly postponed to the current meeting, with no time set.

At the current meeting, before reaching General Orders (when MM would normally be taken up), is it proper to move to rescind the (previously adopted) subsidiary motion to Postpone?

If so, and if the Rescind motion was adopted (2/3 vote required), what would be the status of MM?

(I have my own answers - so what else is new? - but let's see where this goes.)

Edited by jstackpo
Added "no time set"

27 minutes ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

"Rescind" is certainly not applicable, but there used to be a motion called "Discharge an order of the day before it is pending," requiring a two-thirds vote for adoption.

Seems like it might come in handy in this situation. 🙂

Oh, I suspect that this was just another name given to a motion to suspend the rules that interfere with taking up business out of its proper order, as discussed in RONR on pages 363-64.

On second thought, I guess not because both are included in the same list.  Sorry about that.

Edited by Daniel H. Honemann
Second thoughts

4 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

...there used to be a motion called "Discharge an order of the day before it is pending,"...

Yes, it existed from 1915 until 1969, and then ... it died! :( Or was it killed? :angry: Who could have been responsible for such an outrage? :unsure:

11 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Given:  At the previous meeting, a main motion (MM) was made, debated for a while, then properly postponed to the current meeting, with no time set.

At the current meeting, before reaching General Orders (when MM would normally be taken up), is it proper to move to rescind the (previously adopted) subsidiary motion to Postpone?

I would note that Rescind can only apply to things that are in force and that has been "made or created at any time or times as the result of the adoption of one or more main motions (p. 305, ll. 28-31)."  Postponed, as described in the example, is a subsidiary motion.  On that ground, it would be out of order.  I do, however, agree with the other comments.  This motion would be out of order for at least two different reasons. 

• 3 months later...

Given that this is Advanced Discussion, it feels important to point out that if this meeting is in the same session as the previous one, and on the same day or the next one, then the motion to Reconsider could be used to bring the business forward with only a majority.

Edit: Actually, I'm not so sure, but this deserves a separate thread...

Edited by Alexis Hunt

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.