The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President/Parliamentarian

Guest Erin

15 minutes ago, Guest Erin said:

Is it a conflict for President to also be Parliamentarian in a small association?

The role of the parliamentarian, so far as RONR is concerned, is to advise the presiding officer regarding parliamentary procedure. Since the presiding officer is generally the President, I don’t think I would say there is any conflict here, although it does seem a bit odd for the President to be the official advisor to himself. It would seem more logical to simply not have a parliamentarian in such a case.

Is the role of the parliamentarian (or the President) in your society different?

Edited by Josh Martin

I might also add that RONR gives to the presiding officer the prerogative of ruling on all questions of order, subject to appeal by the assembly. I have seen an instance where an assembly believes that RONR grants the parliamentarian some authority to rule on questions of order. But this is not the case. I say all of this this to underscore and extend what Mr. Martin stated: the Parliamentarian's role is only advisory; so, it would indeed be odd for the President, as presiding officer, to be his official advisor to himself.

3 hours ago, Guest Erin said:

Is it a conflict for President to also be Parliamentarian in a small association?

There is no rule in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th ed., which disqualifies a credentialed member of the National Association of Parliamentarians or the American Institute of Parliamentarians from serving in the office of president of another organization.

Edited by Steven Britton

20 minutes ago, Steven Britton said:

There is no rule in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th ed., which disqualifies a credentialed member of the National Association of Parliamentarians or the American Institute of Parliamentarians from serving in the office of president of another organization.

This appears to be an entirely irrelevant observation. Neither is there anything in RONR that qualifies him for serving as president (or parliamentarian, for that matter). 

1 hour ago, Steven Britton said:

I was under the impression that the question was regarding a person serving as President and as Parliamentarian in the same organization.

I suppose the OP might have meant something different, however, so I suppose I will add that nothing in RONR prevents a person (whether or not that person holds credentials with an organization focused on parliamentary education) from serving as President of one organization and as Parliamentarian of some other organization.

Edited by Josh Martin

4 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

I was under the impression that the question was regarding a person serving as President and as Parliamentarian in the same organization.

I suppose the OP might have meant something different, however, so I suppose I will add that nothing in RONR prevents a person (whether or not that person holds credentials with an organization focused on parliamentary education) from serving as President of one organization and as Parliamentarian of some other organization.

I agree and will add that I see nothing in RONR which directly prohibits a person from serving both as president and parliamentarian of the same organization.  However, trying to do so can be quite problematic, as the restrictions on the extent to which a member parliamentarian and a presiding officer may participate in a meeting are significantly different.  The restrictions on the extent to which a member parliamentarian can participate in a meeting are more restrictive than the restrictions on the presiding officer. 

I suppose, now that I think about it and look back over the previous posts, I am also agreeing with your first response in this thread. I think we agree on the problems with the presiding officer also serving as the organization's parliamentarian.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.