The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Problem editing posts

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Is anyone else having a problem editing posts?   In the past few minutes I have tried to edit two posts within minutes of making the posts but the system is not accepting the edit.  It offers me the opportunity to edit, and lets me type the edit, but the edit won't post.

Let's see.

Edited to add: This.

Edited by Shmuel Gerber

The problem with me not being to edit posts seems to have rectified itself and is no longer a problem, at least for now.  Logging out of the forum and then re-starting my computer and logging  back in seems to have cleared up the problem.   It is an issue which has occurred several times over the past few weeks, but was especially bad on the day I started this discussion.  Thanks, Shmuel.

I just now had the same problem that I had a few days ago with editing a post.  The system would not let me edit a comment that I had just posted moments earlier.  The last time it happened, logging out and back into the website seemed to solve the problem (along with restarting my computer).  This time, however, neither logging out of and back into the website or restarting  my computer solved the problem.  I wound up posting my "edit"  as a new post immediately below the one I had been trying to edit.

3 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

I just updated the forum software. (Actually, it updated itself; I just clicked a few buttons.) Let's see if that helps.

It did not solve my problem with not being able to edit posts.  Just now the system would not let me edit a post so I had to post that information as a separate new comment.

57 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

It did not solve my problem with not being able to edit posts.  Just now the system would not let me edit a post so I had to post that information as a separate new comment.

I would suggest logging out, clearing this site's cookies from your web browser, closing the browser tab, and also emptying your browser cache. (I doubt that restarting the computer should have any effect.) Then try posting something new and see if you can edit the new post.

• 1 month later...

There is still a problem with editing posts.  Both @Gary Novosielski and I have experienced it several times.  It seems intermittent and unpredictable.  A few minutes ago I tried editing a post I had just  made by striking through a phrase and then adding a new paragraph.  The system would not let me "post" the edit.

I then removed the strike-through, leaving the original language as is, and simply added the new paragraph.  That worked.

i'm hoping Mr. Novosielski will elaborate  here on the problems he is having. 

I can't elaborate much, but it's beginning to look like the problems I've had are related to quotations.  I will sometimes quote a message and then edit the quotation in the editor, to add emphasis or delete non-essential portions.  I'm not sure if it's related but I'm starting to focus on that.  Often, quotations will end up looking fine in the editor but look odd after posting, with lots of extra white space above, and a missing top border, and sometimes with single-digit numbers in the left margin.  It's usually impossible to go back and edit these.

Unlike Richard, I don't think I have experienced being able to edit but then unable to submit.  When it happens to me, I'm simply not able to get back into the editor.  The Edit link appears but simply doesn't work.  The mouse pointer, which normally changes from an arrow to a pointing finger when hovering over an active link, just stays an arrow, and clicking the link does nothing.

7 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Unlike Richard, I don't think I have experienced being able to edit but then unable to submit.  When it happens to me, I'm simply not able to get back into the editor.

That is perhaps a noteworthy distinction. I DO get the edit option and can start editing, but the system sometimes won't let me SUBMIT the edit. Nothing happens when click on submit. It does seem to happen most often with a "complex" edit in which I am both editing text which I previously submitted and adding a new paragraph. That's what happened the last time the edit feature wouldn't work. When I tried again, leaving the original language but only adding a paragraph at the end, it worked. 

• 5 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.